FLOYDS KNOBS —
Floyd Central season tickets
Floyd Central High School football season tickets will be available in the Floyd Central athletic office from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. throughout the week.
Chairback seats are available. If anyone would like to upgrade bleacher tickets to chairbacks, simply bring the bleacher tickets to the athletic office and exchange for the price difference.
Ticket prices are $15 for students, $15 for senior citizens and $20 for adults. Season tickets also will be available starting at 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 31 at the north gate of Weigleb Stadium.
New Washington golf scramble
The New Washington High School boys’ basketball team will be hosting its fifth annual golf scramble on Saturday, Sept. 29.
The scramble will be held at Spring Hills Golf Course in Hanover. Cost is $50 per player or $200 per team. This price includes green fees, cart, lunch and an entry for the raffle at the end of the day. Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. and players will tee off at 9 a.m.
If interested in playing or sponsoring a hole, contact New Washington coach Jonathan May before Wednesday, Sept. 26 at email@example.com.
Vanosdol named IU Southeast assistant coach
IU Southeast softball coach Joe Witten announced on Thursday that he has hired Kate Vanosdol as one of his assistant coaches.
Vanosdol returns to the Grenadiers after playing second base for one season at IU Southeast during the 2006-07 school year. She was named to the all-Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference team and was nominated to the Freshmen All-America team.
Vanosdol transferred to the University of Southern Indiana for the 2007-08 school year and played one season for the Screaming Eagles. She has been the United States Fast-Pitch Association assistant director from 2010-2012. During that time, she has been in charge of scheduling, public relations and marketing.
Since 2008, Vanosdol has coached catchers and helped players develop their hitting skills. She also coached an under-16 summer league team from 2008-2010.
A graduate of Jennings County High School, Vanosdol was a three-time all-Hoosier Hills Conference team selection and a two-time All-District III selection.
She plans to graduate from IUPUI in May of 2013 with a degree in sports management with a minor in business.
Graceland Baptist Church League
Registration and evaluation for the Graceland Baptist Church Youth Basketball League will Oct. 6, 7, 13 and 14 at the gymnasium at Graceland Baptist Church, 3600 Kamer Miller Road, New Albany.
The times and age divisions for registration and evaluation are the following:
• Saturday, Oct. 6: 10-12-year-old boys and girls, 10 a.m.; 6-7-year-old boys and girls, noon; 8-9-year-old boys and girls, 2 p.m.
• Sunday, Oct. 7: 6-7-year-old boys and girls, 2 p.m.; 8-9-year-old boys and girls, 4 p.m.; 10-12-year-old boys and girls, 6 p.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 13: 10-12-year-old boys and girls, 10 a.m.; 6-7-year-old boys and girls, noon; 8-9-year-old boys and girls, 2 p.m.
• Sunday, Oct. 14: 6-7-year-old boys and girls, 2 p.m.; 8-9-year-old boys and girls, 4 p.m.; 10-12-year-old boys and girls, 6 p.m.
Children ages 4-5 will not have to go through evaluations, but all other players must be evaluated on one of these days.
There are limited spaces available in each age group. Leagues will close when those spaces are taken.
Games will begin in early December. Costs are $55 for the first child, $50 for the second child and $45 for each additional child.
For more information, contact Graceland Baptist Church at 812-944-6448 ext. 167 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NFL Punt, Pass and Kick competition
An NFL Punt, Pass and Kick competition will take place at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 13 on the Clarksville High School football field. The competition is open to boys and girls ages 6-15. To register, visit www.nflppk.com.
Adams named assistant coach for Kentucky Xtreme
New Albany resident Brent Adams has been named the new assistant coach and director of media relations for the Kentucky Xtreme indoor football team. The Extreme is based in Louisville and plays in the Continental Indoor Football League.
Adams played high school football at Jasper under Indiana’s all-time winningest coach, Jerry Brewer. He played his college football at Franklin and played minor league football for the Louisville Saints of the North American Football League. Adams has been an assistant coach for the Kentucky Xtreme outdoor football team.
Adams is the former director of media relations for the Louisville Fire Arena Football team and the former sports editor at the New Albany Tribune.
FLOYDS KNOBS —
- College Sports
COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: May 21, 2013
ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
• Jeff Thompson (Louisville baseball, Floyd Central graduate, Jr.) — top performance: winning pitcher in a starting role in the Cardinals’ 12-4 home victory over Pittsburgh on Friday, seven innings pitched, three runs allowed (all earned), three hits, seven strikeouts, three walks; notes: Thompson became the sixth pitcher in U of L history to earn 10 or more victories in a season on Friday; he is one win away from tying the school record for most victories in a season; Friday’s win clinched the Cardinals a share of the Big East Conference championship; they claimed the outright conference title on Saturday with a 7-4 home triumph over the Panthers; team records: 46-10 overall, 20-4 Big East; Thompson’s record: 10-1.
COLLEGE SOFTBALL: Newell’s no-hitter ends Grenadiers’ season
IU Southeast falls to Bethel in NAIA Opening Round, 1-0
H.S. BOYS' BASKETBALL: New FC hoops coach brings strong resume
Lieberman approved as Highlanders’ boss on Monday
COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: May 14, 2013
U of L's Thompson throws eight shutout innings in 6-0 win at UConn
COLLEGE SOFTBALL: No. 25 Grenadiers fall to No. 14 Olivet Nazarene in NAIA Opening Round
IU Southeast faces Bethel today
SPORTS IN BRIEF: May 14, 2013
Providence football looking for assistant coach
COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: May 7, 2013
Wilson, Jones share Athlete of the Week honors
COLLEGE SOFTBALL: Grenadiers bash Berea 10-2 for KIAC title
IUS on to national tourney after second straight league crown
COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: April 30, 2013
Batliner has another productive week for IUS softball
MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Whitehead verbally commits to Fordham
Ex-NA standout named NJCAA All-American last year at DACC
- More College Sports Headlines
- COLLEGE NOTEBOOK: May 21, 2013