NEWS AND TRIBUNE
The Howard Steamboat Museum will dedicate its Pilothouse Gazebo at 2 p.m. June 9.
The public is invited to attend the ceremony of the dedication for the replica steamboat pilothouse, named in honor of Clark County preservation activist Rosemary Husted Prentice, founder of Jeff-Clark Preservation.
The pilothouse, based on the gingerbread trim design of the famous steamboat J.M. White, built by the Howard Shipyard in 1878, features an authentic eight foot pilot wheel, steamboat whistle and windows formerly used aboard the Belle of Louisville. The bell from the steamboat Mississippi Queen will also be dedicated at this time.
The Mississippi Queen was built at JeffBoat in 1976 and scrapped in 2011. The large bell, cast in 1874, was saved from the riverboat and donated to the Howard Steamboat Museum. The ceremony will feature “river music” performed by Capt. Bill Ray and his wife Becky.
The museum is located at 1101 E. Market St., Jeffersonville.