GIBSON SOUTHERN AT CHARLESTOWN
• TIME: 8 p.m.
• PLACE: Dutch Reis Field.
• RECORDS: Charlestown 12-0, Gibson Southern 10-2.
• SERIES RECORD: First meeting.
• SERIES LAST 10 YEARS: First meeting.
• LAST MEETING: First meeting.
• KEY FACTS: The Pirates are 1-2 all-time in regional games. Their lone regional championship happened in 1989, when they shut out Greensburg in a Class 3A regional, 37-0. Charlestown has lost in its last two regional appearances. The Pirates suffered a 24-0 setback to Evansville Memorial in a 3A regional in 1993, and then in 1996, they fell to Heritage Hills in a 3A regional, 62-14. … Charlestown quarterback Aaron Daniel ranks second in the state in rushing touchdowns (30), sixth in passing touchdowns (33), 15th in rushing yards (1,585) and 26th in passing yards (1,853). Pirate senior running back Seth McCutchen is 16th in Indiana in rushing touchdowns (20) and 26th in rushing yards (1,407). Also, Charlestown junior Jake Harper ranks 12th in the state in solo tackles (93), while teammate Matt Myers is 16th with 88 solo tackles. … The Titans won their final two sectional games in overtime by a combined nine points. They defeated Vincennes Lincoln in the semifinal (37-31) and Evansville Memorial in the championship (27-24).
• MATCHUP TO WATCH: Gibson Southern quarterback Jordan Scheller vs. Charlestown’s defense — Scheller, a senior, ranks ninth in the state in passing yards with 2,357. He put up some huge numbers in the Titans’ first two sectional games. Scheller threw for 338 yards in Gibson Southern’s first-round win over Mt. Vernon (Posey) and 352 yards in the Titans’ semifinal win over Vincennes Lincoln. But the Pirates have been phenomenal on defense all year. They have the third-best scoring defense in the state, allowing 6.6 points per game. Charlestown’s pass rush must put a lot of pressure on Scheller if the Pirates intend to reach the semi-state next Friday.
• NOTE: Winner will face either Greensburg or third-ranked Indianapolis Chatard in the Class 3A semi-state next Friday.
- High School Sports
CLASS 3A SALEM SECTIONAL: No. 10 Charlestown avenges loss to No. 5 Lions, 5-3
Pirates will meet Brownstown for sectional crown
CLASS 2A PROVIDENCE SECTIONAL: Hornets pay back Clarksville in first round of Class 2A Providence Sectional
Henryville takes advantage of six errors by Generals in 9-3 win
H.S. BOYS' GOLF: Braves take four-way meet
Generals beat Rock Creek, New Wash; Hornets second at Sunrise
H.S. GIRLS' TENNIS: Weather postpones championship
Floyd and Jeff will meet today for title
CLASS 2A EASTERN SECTIONAL: Pioneers, Musketeers to meet for title
Endris blanks Paoli; Eastern scores three in final frame
CLASS A LANESVILLE SECTIONAL: Lanesville beats New Wash in sectional final, 1-0
Eagles get revenge after two straight one-run losses to Mustangs
BASEBALL SECTIONAL PREVIEW: Floyd, New Albany, Jeff expect tough field at Class 4A BNL Sectional
Creek, Charlestown to play in formidable Class 3A sectional
CLASS 4A JEFF SECTIONAL: Highlanders upset by Bedford at Jeff Sectional
New Albany falls to Jennings County in second semi, 3-0
H.S. GIRLS' TENNIS: Highlanders, Devils to meet in Creek Regional final
Floyd sweeps Dragons; Jeff knocks off New Albany, 3-2
H.S. SOFTBALL: Dragons fall to Corydon, 10-7
Ledgewedge, Kiper produce three hits each for Dragons
- More High School Sports Headlines
- CLASS 3A SALEM SECTIONAL: No. 10 Charlestown avenges loss to No. 5 Lions, 5-3