> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
CLASS 5A SECTIONAL 8
EVANSVILLE NORTH AT JEFFERSONVILLE
• TIME: 7:30 p.m.
• PLACE: Blair Field.
• RECORDS: Evansville North 5-4, Jeff 7-3.
• SERIES RECORD: Jeff leads 4-2.
• SERIES LAST 10 YEARS: Jeff leads 2-0.
• LAST MEETING: Nov. 2, 2007 at Blair Field — Jeff 28, Evansville North 14, Class 5A Sectional 8 championship.
• KEY FACTS: Of the six all-time matchups between the Red Devils and the Huskies, five have been in the postseason. Jeff has a 3-2 record in its state tournament games with North, including winning the last two postseason meetings. … The Huskies are the only Evansville school that the Red Devils have a winning record against in Jeff High history. Jeff has a 5-9 record versus Evansville Central, a 4-15 mark against Evansville Harrison and a 1-17 record versus Evansville Reitz.
• MATCHUP TO WATCH: Huskies’ running back Blake Howell vs. Jeff’s run defense — Howell, a 5-foot-10 senior, leads North in rushing this year with 1,096 yards and 11 touchdowns. He averages 8.1 yards per carry. The Red Devils have been struggling a little bit against the run in the last three games, allowing 221 yards per contest in that stretch. They surrendered 253 rushing yards last week versus New Albany in their 62-35 victory in the first round of Sectional 8.
• NEXT WEEK: Jeffersonville at Bedford North Lawrence or Castle; Evansville North at Bedford North Lawrence or Castle.
CLASS 3A SECTIONAL 23
CORYDON CENTRAL AT CHARLESTOWN
• TIME: 7 p.m.
• PLACE: Dutch Reis Field.
• RECORDS: Charlestown 10-0, Corydon 8-2.
• SERIES RECORD: Charlestown leads 30-12.
• SERIES LAST 10 YEARS: Corydon leads 7-5.
• LAST MEETING: Sept. 28, 2012 at Corydon — Charlestown 47, Corydon 0.
• KEY FACTS: The only time the Pirates and the Panthers have met in the postseason was last year in the Sectional 23 semifinals at Dutch Reis Field. Corydon won 33-28 en route to its first-ever sectional championship. … Charlestown’s domination on both sides of the ball has been phenomenal the last five games. During that stretch, the Pirates have scored 58.4 points per game and given up only a total of seven points.
• MATCHUP TO WATCH: Charlestown’s defense vs. Corydon’s offense — The Panthers gained only 173 total yards, including 31 rushing yards, in their regular-season loss to the Pirates on Sept. 28. Corydon will face the same formidable Charlestown defense on Friday night, as the Pirates have shut out four of their last five opponents.
• NEXT WEEK: Charlestown at Brownstown Central or Salem; Corydon Central hosts Brownstown Central or Salem.
CLASS 2A SECTIONAL 31
CLARKSVILLE AT LAWRENCEBURG
• TIME: 7:30 p.m.
• PLACE: Neary Memorial Field.
• RECORDS: Clarksville 6-4, Lawrenceburg 9-1.
• SERIES RECORD: Lawrenceburg leads 3-1.
• SERIES LAST 10 YEARS: Lawrenceburg leads 2-0.
• LAST MEETING: Oct. 28, 2005 at Neary Memorial Field — Lawrenceburg 31, Clarksville 0, Class 2A Sectional 31 semifinal.
• KEY FACTS: The Generals’ 32-0 victory last Friday at Eastern in the first round of Sectional 31 snapped their six-game losing streak in sectional play. Plus Clarksville posted its first shutout win in the sectional since it blanked Providence in the Sectional 31 semifinal in 2006, 16-0. … The Tigers rank 20th in the state and eighth in Class 2A in scoring offense, averaging 41.5 points per game. During their current three-game winning streak, they have tallied at least 50 points in each of those contests.
• MATCHUP TO WATCH: Lawrenceburg running back Chad Banschbach vs. Clarksville’s defense — Banschbach leads the state in rushing touchdowns with 28 and ranks second in Indiana in rushing yards with 1,940. Last week against Crawford County in the first round of Sectional 31, the senior rushed for 194 yards and three touchdowns on only nine carries. The Clarksville defense has vastly improved this season, but it will be tested by Banschbach.
• NEXT WEEK: Clarksville hosts Paoli or Triton Central; Lawrenceburg at Paoli or Triton Central.
> SOUTHERN INDIANA —
- High School Sports
H.S. BASEBALL: New Albany, Providence to square off in Sajko title game
Start time moved up to 1:30 due to threat of rain
GIRLS' TENNIS SECTIONALS: Jeff gets by game Generals 3-2 for title
Floyd, Creek cruise to sectional crowns
H.S. ROUNDUP: Red Devils beat East on Senior Night
Clarksville softball upsets Bulldogs, 6-4
BOYS' TRACK: Highlanders run away with 11th straight sectional crown
Borden finishes program-best second; New Albany third, Clarksville fourth
BOYS' TRACK: Jeff rolls to 41st straight sectional title
Wolf wins another high jump title at Bedford Sectional
GIRLS' TENNIS SECTIONALS: Dragons down unbeaten Borden to advance to Creek final
Bulldogs keep sectional-title streak alive
CONFERENCE GOLF PREVIEW: No. 7 Highlanders looking to repeat as HHC champions on Saturday
Hornets to vie for another SAC title at Champions Pointe
H.S. ROUNDUP: Bulldogs defeat Corydon on Senior Night, 10-0
Red Devils, Dragons each pick up wins on Thursday
GIRLS' TENNIS SECTIONALS: Borden advances to meet Dragons
Bulldogs, Warriors move on to title match after 4-1 wins
H.S. ROUNDUP: Webster, Price lead Pirates past Hornets
Generals, Pioneers earn softball wins
- More High School Sports Headlines
- H.S. BASEBALL: New Albany, Providence to square off in Sajko title game